Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Toy Portraits #3

Going to switch it up a bit and post up some Rider portraits I've taken in the past few days.

One of my favourite piece of photography gear is the external flash. I use a Nikon SB-600 with the commander mode on my D7000, this way I can trigger the flash externally using the on-board flash on my camera. It's not the best solution, but it doesn't cost anything extra for me so that's a plus. I still find it amazing how the outcome of a photo can change so much just by changing the angle of the flash a tiny bit. It is definitely one of the hardest techniques to master in photography.

The following three pictures were created by trial and error with my flash and multiple white pieces of paper to bounce the light to try and create an even lighting. One of the hardest part is that these figures have reflective surfaces which causes the flash to show up on the figure itself. I use to always tried to avoid having this effect, but now I think that a little of it can actually benefit the picture by making it more 3-dimensional.

Kamen Rider Meteor - I found out after posting this picture that my camera sensor was all dusty. After a quick wet clean with a VisibleDust swab, it is squeaky clean now as you can see in the next two pictures.
Kamen Rider Meteor

Kamen Rider W Luna Trigger
Kamen Rider W Luna Trigger

Kamen Rider Kuuga
Kamen Rider Kuuga

6 comments:

  1. these are really cool- enjoying the portraits

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep it up for more awesome pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all!
    There will be tons more to come, I plan on doing one for every single one of my toys haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say the pics are sharp with good field of depth...

    ReplyDelete